The first day of term can often be nerve-wracking and scary for many new students. So how do you prepare for this and make the most of one of the greatest days of your life?
Here are Musical Theatre Masterclass‘ TOP 5 TIPS…
1. Tell yourself it’s going to be a GREAT DAY and it WILL be! Your state of mind will play a huge role in how much you enjoy your time at MTM. The mind can often play tricks on you. So how about YOU play tricks WITH your mind? Focus on what you’re looking forward to and how happy you’ll feel in each class, NOT what you’re worried about! If your perception of every situation is positive you’ll come away feeling incredible! This is a great rule for life, not just MTM!
2. Eat well and drink plenty of water. Eating good, natural and wholesome food sounds boring but it WILL help you with your energy levels – and let’s face it, you’ll burn a LOT of energy on your first day! Reducing the amount of refined sugar you eat (chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks) will actually give you MORE energy as you’ll avoid those hideous sugar-crashes that lead to an afternoon full-body and brain blurgh!!
3. Leave your fears at the door. Immersing yourself in the fun and excitement of a first day of term is guaranteed to make you feel accomplished and positive when you leave at the end of the day. The more adventurous you are, the more fun you will have. The more fun you have, the more you will feel relaxed and confident which will lead to more creative freedom. Creativity is what we NEED in performance so don’t be scared, be brave!
4. Speak to your classmates straight away. When you first arrive, the temptation will be to cower in the corner and avoid speaking to anyone until you are made to. If you make the effort to engage with your fellow students you will begin to create relationships that could lead to lifelong friendships. What’s not to love!? Learn as many names as you can. Before you finish the day try to make sure you’ve learnt the names of at least 10 other students.
5. Have a goal. Think about what you want to achieve by the end of the term, focus on it and take steps each week to make it happen. Picture in your mind what you want to sound like when you sing, how you look when you dance and how immersed you can become in an acting scene. Setting goals is the best way to achieve success and results in performance and in life. Keep setting goals and striving to break them every term!
Wishing you all a WONDERFUL first day of term!!
Don’t forget to share this blog with all your friends and potential classmates.